October 18, 2008

Movies inspired from Books - Halloween

For several years now, my wife and I go on an annual quest for decent (IE: not necessarily child-friendly, but family-with-teens-friendly), creepy, and suspense and dread-filled movies for Halloween. (On some future post I will go through our experiences and the shows we have liked and not liked.) While we try to find movies we haven't seen, sometimes we watch movies one or both of us haven't seen since we were children and consequently don't remember many details from.

This year I've encountered a couple already that are based on books that I haven't read (yet), and I am having a hard time finding. Anyway, I would be interested to know if any of you have read any of these, how the movies and books compare.

Alfred Hitchcock's The Birds (1963), based on the short story or novelette of the same name by Daphne du Maurier from 1952.

Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1956) (as well a remake from 1978 with the same title starring Donald Sutherland, Leonard Nimoy and Jeff Goldblum, and The Invasion (2007) with Nicole Kidman and Daniel Craig) based on the novel The Body Snatchers (1955) by Jack Finney.

[10/19/08 EDIT:I listed a movie I forgot in a new posting here.]

No comments: